Thursday, November 02, 2006

Day 1:Here's To Hong Kong

Well ladies and gentlemen we have arrived safely at our 1st destination Hong Kong....

I had some interesting conversations at the LA airport, as I had a lay over for 6 hours. Went to one of the bars in the airport and just started chatting with people. It was alot of fun. First I met Rosemarie, she was a programmer back in the 70's and we were bonding over IT days. She has traveled quite extensively and I asked her where her favorite place were and she said 'Bahia' in Brazil and China. I asked why Brazil and explained the passion that they have for life, definitely agree with the Brazilian passion for life. Then I met Sande, who watches dog while housesitting, what a great life she gets to live in nice peoples homes and watch dogs. She has a great view and zest for life, instead of setting goals, she lets things happen when they are suppose to, she believes that there is a reason for everything in life and that we either learn from people or they learn from us. She belives we should enjoy the journey and not so much the goal. It's the journey in which we gain the most experience..... Then I met Stephen from San Diego. He believes in simplifying his life as much as possible, what a great concept... He is letting me read his book on 'Tao Te Ching' , which is a spiritual book by Lao Tzu. I started reading the book and would highly recommend it. It is the most frequently translated book in the world!

The flight was long, slept for most of it. Woke up to breakfast which was 'seafood conchi(msp)', which is suppose to a popular breakfast in Hong Kong, it ended up being quite tastey. I was about to ask the steward if the rice was under cooked as it is a dish that looks like watery rice with seafood, when the Filipino gentlemen next to me kindly informed me that is the way it is cooked and then explained to me that the brown thing in the dish, which I thought was mushroom was a cucumber grown in the sea... go figure didn't know cucumbers grew in the sea. When first arriving in Hong Kong, it reminded me alot of San Fran., we crossed over a bridge to get to the city and they had alot of canneries very similar to when you cross the bride from San Fran. to Oakland. It has a bit of the South American flavor with all the trees. I just arrived and am waiting to get my room, it won't be ready for another couple of hours. I must say there is not too much space in Hong Kong the rooms are very small, hope I don't get too claustrophobic....yikes. Till tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sebastian said...

Rohini,

I am so jealous. Enjoy every moment of this amazing joureny you just stated.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Sanjay Patel said...

Rohini, sounds completely amazing!!! Sanj and I are hoping to catch you in San Francisco in January and hear live stories and see pictures =)

Karen

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home