Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Day 25 and Day 26: Farwell Bangkok...Hello Singapore

Day 25: Today I decided to take it easy and indulge myself in a facial and then to the Thai boxing at night. By the way, the prices are excellent for massages, Kim and I got a foot massage for a whopping $10 and I got my facial for a little less than that. The Thai boxing was interesting, anything goes meaning they can use any part of their body to beat the opponent, meaning they can use their legs as well. When they come out they have a ley around them and when they warm up, it looks like they are doing some type of dance. They also have a band playing Thai music in the back. The crowd really gets into this as everyone around was betting on one of the opponents. The Thai's are very friendly people, compared to the other places I have visited so far and I realized a warm smile, will get you very far in this country...
Despite the level of sex tourism that goes on in country, it is definitely worth the visit to come and see Thailand.

Day 26: Farwell to Bangkok. I headed to the airport in the morning, as I headed to the aiport I noticed the 'Kinnari's' that are displayed on both sides of the road that leads to the airport. The taxi cab driver had a statue of the 'Buddha' and the 'King' on his dashboard. Once I got into the airport, I looked around and noticed all the things that represent Thailand were all displayed there at the airport. First, I noticed a huge picture of the King, a large pagoda looking structure reminded me of the Chinese culuture, a buddhist monk passed by me,
and a scene from the 'Churning of the Milk Ocean', from Hindu mythology (Indian culture), where they have Lord Vishnu at the center and the Garuda's and humans struggling with each other....

I arrived in Singapore and noticed all the green, the policemen with their big guns, the Chinese, Malay's, and Indians working there. It is a very modern, clean and safe city. The subway system is excellent. It reminds me of NYC and Hong Kong, but the people are not hustling and bustling as much, they are more relaxed. Things tend to close early here. I tried Durian (a fruit mainly in SouthEast Asia), I had heard alot about it and decided to try, as I saw a sign on the subway saying that it was not permitted on the train. My friend Kim had warned me of the pungent smell and boy was it strong. The smell is horrifing and the taste is even worse, I guess it is an acquired taste, the after taste that I had in my mouth reminded me of garlic...
I also tried peanut soup, which is a soup that has peanuts and then you can a variety of dough balls stuffed with yam, peanut, seasame, or red bean. It was tastey, thanks for the tip Lydia.....My friend Gaylie, who I had dinner with told me in the Chinese culture, a newly married couple has the peanut soup for good luck in their marriage. We went out in Chinatown and the buildings are very modern, since the British had occupied Singapore for some period of time and there are Chinese lanterns hanging above the streets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home