Thursday, September 27, 2007

Day 155 & 156: Stellenbosch & Capetown

Day 155: Stellenbosch
Wine, wine, and more wine. There are three wine regions. Stellenbosch, Franshoek, and Paarl. Frankshoek was started by the French Huguenots, they are similar to what the Afrikaners- Dutch Calvinists are. South African white wines are particularly good. I have never been much of a white wine drinker, but definitely these are some of the best. Ex. Chenin blanc. White wines they peel the skin off immediately the red wines they keep the skins longer to get the tannins which keeps the wine from going bad as well as the color. Tannin is a natural presertive. I tried potjde a stew that had springbox similar to antelope.

Day 156: Capetown
I must say Capetown is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen. Reminds me of San Fran. Being close to the water, but the background Table Mountain reminds me of the Grand Canyon. They are definitely more whites here than any other place I have seen. They still have locks on the doors, just like they had in all the other major cities I have been to in South Africa. It’s hilly and there is some Victorian arthicture and colorful homes. Went to Table Mountain and saw great views of Cape Town. Tried bobkite (msp??) which is a Malaysian inspired dish. Very good, minced meat w/egg custard on top, and sweet chutney on top at Mama Africas. Didn’t realized the big Malay population I guess it makes sense as the Dutch East Indian company had a location in Malaysia as well they brought them over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home