Sunday, December 10, 2006

Day 35 & 36 & 37: Farwell to KL and Hello to Bali.....

Day 35: Well today was my last day at KL and I still needed to go to the Petrona's Tower, which is one of the wonders of the world. It's the worlds tallest twin towers. It has five layers, which represent the five pillars of islam. They were surpassed as the tallest structure by Tapei 101. The Petrona's Tower houses Petronas, which is Malaysia's government owned oil company. I got up at 5:30am in the morning and headed out to go see it. The doors didn't open till 8:30 so I ended up waiting for a couple of hours as I got there by 7:00 and there were already people in line. The view was great and I got to see more of the architecture around KL. I have really enjoyed my stay in Malaysia and will miss it as I have met some very nice people here.

I headed off to Bail. Once I arrived in Bali, one of the immigration officals told me that the Bollywood stars were leaving Kuala Lumpur and coming to Bali and would be in Bali vacationing for the next 2 weeks. I guess they must be following me. I hope to catch a better glimpse of them this time.....


Day 36 and 37:
Bali...is very western as there are many, many western tourists there. I headed out to the Beach today and relaxed as I had been on the go last couple of weeks and needed some down time. The beach was nice, but I guess I was expecting something even better. I guess after going to Rio De Janiero, it's hard to find a beach that compares. Needless to say, it is a nice beach and I was able to watch the sunset, which was very nice. The part that I don't like is that there are constant people trying to sell you things on the street, and it comes to a point where it is just down right annoying. I am not sure coming out here is worth the constant annoyance from the street vendors. Taxi's even stop in the middle of the road to ask if you need a ride. I hope to get a better perspective of Bali when I do the cultural actvities.

I tried the Gado Gado, which is a steamed salad with peanut sauce, BinTang (the local pilsner beer here), Jaffle, and satays. The Gado Gado and Bin Tang were pretty good. I also tried the Jaffle, which is basically grilled bread pressed together with egg, tomatoe, or onion in the middle.The satay was excellent. The food is similar to Malay food, as they have alot of rice dishes and they use alot of peanut sauce. Not having wine in a couple of weeks as foreign wine is expensive and most of the countries don't grow their own wine, I was happy to try the Balinese wine 'Hatten'. I tried the red, it was a pretty light wine, it was okay, not as good as the French and American wines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home