Thursday, December 14, 2006

Day 40 & 41: Bali..

Day 40 and 41: Was spent resting and relaxing at the beach, some hard core shopping as the prices here are very cheap, they are about the same as Malaysia if not a little more. I will miss not having to pay so much for food (is similar to Malay they have rice dishes, satays, noodles, and curries), lodging, etc.. as today I leave Bali and head to Australia and New Zealand.

Despite the 'Stalkers', oh I mean 'Hawkers' in Bali, Bali is a beautiful island, with beautiful sunsets, luscious green rice paddies, and a colorful culture. People are generally nice, friendly, and generally laid back. People are constanting asking me where I am from and they are always thrown off by the fact that I am American. I have to go back and explain the immigration of my parents in the 60's from India to the U.S. I have had some interesting conversations with the locals about the similarites and differences with the Indian Hinduism and Balinese Hinduism. People look a mx of Indian, Chinese, and possibly some European probably by the Dutch influence.

My experience in SouthEast Asia is coming to a close at the moment as I head to Australia tonight, I am hoping to make it to Laos and Vietnam before I come back to the States though. Not knowing too much about SouthEast Asia and figuring out I should spend some time in other parts of the world I have never been too, I have been pleasantly surprised at how much I have really enjoyed my time in SouthEast Asia, learning about the history, culture, and meeting the people, and to see how the two mightest empires at one time India and China, have impacted the history and culture of SouthEast Asia. I hope you have all learned something from my experience that I have had here in SouthEast Asia....Okay I am now off to enjoy my last cheap meal here, I better eat up!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home