Sunday, December 24, 2006

Day 46 & Day 47: Cairns and Sydney

Day 46: The weather has been nice a bit of rain, but not too much...it is currently summer in Australia. Still feeling sick from what I believe to be the veggmite, but all the aussie swear it must have been something else that I ate or possibly the change in water. Anyways....I managed to get up today and I went to the Daintree River and rainforest. That's where I saw my first real life crocodile. It was pretty big. Then we headed to lunch. I was having lunch with a bunch of Europeans and I was explaining to them all the differences in words that Americans use compared to the Aussie and then realized that the other Europeans use the same type of words as the Aussie, probably from the British influence and of course so do most of SouthEast Asia. Hmmm.....makes me wonder how we came up with the words that we did for certain things. Then we headed to the Daintree rainforest, that's where we saw a stick spider. It pretty much looks like stick put together and if the spider looses one of it's stick part well it simply grows another one....I met a guy from London on the bus going Port Douglas who is of Greek descent, actually from Cyprus. Anyways, he was telling me that the island of Cyprus, part of the island belongs to Greece and part of the island belongs to Turkey and that you need to have a passport in order to cross over to the other side. Then I had to ask him if Greek life was actually similar to 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding', anyways he told me it was very similar, his parents were hoping he would marry another Greek, his sister didn't so they didn't have high hopes for him and then I had to ask him why everyone has the same name like Nick.. Chrisitine as the movie was explaining. Anyways, he was telling me that if he were to have kids, the Greece tradition is that the eldest grandson in each family will be named after the grandfather and the eldest granddaughter in each family will be namd after the grandmother. So you can just imagine if someone has a family of five and their kids all have kids and they all had boys then the first eldest from each of the family would have the same name ex. Nick. Anyways, he told me at family functions they have to distinguish the names by 'Fat Nick', or 'Nick#1', etc....Port Douglas was nice, it reminded me of California, similar to Carmel. That night I splurged (the sampler appetizer plate was ~22 AUD) and tried kangaroo, crocodile, and emu (the national bird of Australia). Kangaroo was pretty good it was simliar to steak to me, the crocodile I didn't care for, it had an odd smell and looked like chicken and the emu was pretty tastey.

Day 47: Got up early to catch my flight back to Sydney. Cairn has big sidewalks and most of the cars are parked in the middle of the road. Got a friendly farwell from the receptionist. Most of the people have been friendly here in Cairns. I got back to Sydney and headed to Hyde Park, Oxford St, Victor St., and Darlinghurt St. It reminded me of a little bit of Boston, I guess probably from the British influence. Then I headed to the supermarket and realized how expensive the food is here. It seems cheaper to go out to eat then to cook at home....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home