Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Day 10: Hue

Today I decided to go with my guide Hui to the Vinh Moc Tunnels on his motorbike. It was still rainy and cold, but decided to go forward with the ride, which was about 2 hours away. We headed to the Ben Hai River, which was the the line of demarcation between South and North Vietnam. The Ben Hai River is the Mekong River, but they changed the name, Ben Hai means 'in the middle' . This is where alot of the battles were fought. On the South Vietnam side they show a big statue of a woman and her child, waiting for her husband to come back from war. Then went to go visit the Vinh Moc Tunnels where a group of North Vietnams lived under ground for 6 years and I even met a gentlemen that was born in the tunnels. I tried to talk to him, but he was deaf due to the bombings. They had a hospital, places where people lived, a bathroom in the underground tunnel. There were three levels. It was definitely easier to get around than Chi Chu tunnels by Saigon.

Then we headed back and saw the rice paddy fields along the way. What a sight to see with the light rain the rice paddies which are a light green were glistening in the distance. We stopped to get gas and as one of the cars were backing up I suddenly heard 'Jingle Bell's', I thought what on earth is that. Later that night I was talking with my spanish friends Gemma and Anna and they told me when cars back up they play different songs, they even heard 'La Bamba', interesting I thought. That night was my last supper with my new spanish friends Gemma and Anna from Spain. We ended up eating at a place that didn't quite meet my cleaniness standards as some of the tablecloths had spots on them, but I decided to give it a go with them. To my amazment the food turned out to be good. I must say despite I have not had bad food in Vietnam yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home