Saturday, March 31, 2007

Day 5: Nha Trang...

Today I met Sarah and Paul for breakfast at our local hangout for some yummy yummy crepes. Then we headed to volunteer helping kids learn english. The little school room is in the back of a bar and the woman that started the bar and the school is a Vietnames/Canadian girl who came to Nha Trang and never left, she was compelled to help the street kids of Nha Trang. She wanted to avoid having these kids become pedfile kids and give them some type of education to better their lives. Some of the kids have to help their parents sell postcards for the day, so if they sell enough postcards they are allow to come to the little school to learn english. These kids live for the moment as they do not know what tomorrow will bring. Made me realize living for the moment is very important as you never know what tomorrow will bring, whether it is a sudden illness you may get, death in the family, or a change in your family structure.....If the kids don't help their parents sell enough postcards they cannot pay the rent. The kids were really excited to see us and there was gentleman that was 31, who was trying to learn english. We spent two hours with the kids and what joy it was to spend time with these kids and help them to learn english. Made me really appreciate what I have in life compared to what these kids have. When we were finished we were of course propositioned to buy postcards which we did as they kids did a great job that day learning english and we were hoping that they would be coming back again.

After the morning of teaching english I headed for the beach for some rest and relaxation. I then treated my self to a day at the spa, got a facial and a massage for $35 total! How nice it is to splurge on yourself here in Vietnam. Then they gave me some Vietnamese tea, which I must say is quite robust compared to any of the other teas I have ever tasted before.

That night I had my final dinner with Sarah and Karina ( a Swedish girl I met at the beach that day). I had a nice dinner of crab and tried some BBB beer, was a bit lighter than Saigon beer, which I prefered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home