Saturday, August 11, 2007

Day 121: Hello Israel.....

Day 121: Got up way to early to catch my flight to Tel Aviv. They had more security checks than usual they had one at the counter and then one at the waiting area. Being a litte apprehensive after the things I had seen on T.V. etc... I was looking around for any suspious looking suicide bombers. I was grateful when the plan finally landed in Tel Aviv. Got to the airport and saw the flag with the Star of David. Got grilled by the airport security for about an hour when I was going thru passport control I got questions from how much I spent on my trip to the origins of my name. I didn't mind the security check as it made me feel more secure about the safety of the people. I then headed to the train station. Went I got to the train station I noticed a civilian with a gun, I was a little taken back by this, but was told that they do this if the civilians feel threatened. I didn't find the people to be as friendly and open as they were in Turkey, they seem a little more apprehensive. Could be since everythign they had gone thru to get Israel and being attacked. I did find the men not to make remarks to woman that I had found at times in the other Middle Eastern countries. Could be that the men are use to being with woman and in the Middle Easter muslim countries there is more of a seperation between men and woman. Tel Aviv reminds me alot of NYC and Miami, NYC with the tall buildings and the fast pace life and Miami with the beaches. They have pretty much the same foods as the rest of the middle east, olives, cheese, it was nice to see delhis and bagel shops. Tried herring with mayoniase and a pastry stuffed with olives. It was not as I expected I was expecting more military men with guns etc... The grocery stores did search you when going in. I met a girl on the train from Miami who was going to the Hebrew University she told me some of her Jewish friends at home had volunteer to go to the Israel army, boy I thought what patroism to their religion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home